Numerous studies indicate “You Are Only As Old As You Act” and I agree that there is nothing better than doing a fun activity that you have not been involved in for years to emphasize the point.
Since turning 50, I have slowed down a bit professionally (no more 80 hour work weeks) and i have started to smell the roses using the extra time I now have. Some of my activities people would consider work and some activities are leisure but still they are fun to me.
- My primary method of relaxation includes reading every day and my favorite leisure read is alternate history of all types. There is nothing like the ultimate what if and reading a little Harry Turtledove and similar authors does it for me. I also like to read business self-help books but we are talking leisure right.
- My dogs are my always method of relaxation because they provide unconditional love and have the ability to suck every ounce of tension out of your body either by cuddling or doing something you just don’t expect. To be in a dogs head for a day.
- I love to cook and since trending towards a Paleo diet a year ago it has added interest into this hobby and required chore. I am currently trying to make a Paleo ice cream.
- Although not done daily, my favorite relaxation is the great outdoors and activities that include kayaking, riding an ATV, hiking, camping and believe it or not, mowing the lawn. There is nothing like riding an ATV on primitive trails and getting planted in a pit of mud. On the other end of the spectrum, mowing allows my mind to think in a relaxed setting.
- Photography has always been a passion and it is my goal to spend more time doing photo projects when on the road or back-roads. I love traveling down US Highways that were made obsolete by the Interstate Highway System and viewing what was.
- I love to travel and have always had itchy feet in my professional life so traveling for work was a bonus that allowed me to relax as I drove to my next meeting or appointment. When I was younger, I could easily drive 16 to 20 hours a day but have slowed down a bit and 12 hours is now my limit.
I have listed a few of the things I enjoy but there are so many more items I am happy to do. I may not be as good at these activities and/or hobbies as I once was or I may get a bit sore but it is so sweet.
No matter your passion, do something you enjoyed doing in years gone past and I guarantee the joy with still be there and perhaps it will be intensified. Life is too short to not take time to enjoy family, friends, hobbies and studies show you are only as old as you act. Fifty Plus Going On Fifteen is a way of life not a phrase.
Thanks for listening and have a QUINTASTIC day!!